Sunday, February 15, 2009

Research Log Entry 2

1.I used Britannica Online.
2. I used the terms "Yangtze" "River" "Pollution"
3.I retrieved 15 results.
4. One way to reduce and filter results over 100 is to choose your source content in Britannica.
5.I began to look at the title and short description to determine if an article was meaningful or not.
6."Yangtze River." Encyclopædia Britannica. 2009. Encyclopædia Britannica Online. 15 Feb. 2009 .
7.I read the article, and it provided good information on my topic. The article explained various things like pollution, animal life, and other topics relating the Yangtze River.

Academic Search Primer


1. I used the same terms "Yangtze" "River" and "Pollution"
2.I retrieved 110 results.
3. Yangtze, by itself, produced over 1000 results. I added terms to my search to narrow down the results.
4.I found it harder to manipulate the terms in Academic Search Primer. However, when i was able to manipulate the terms successfully, i was able to retrieve more results with Academic Search Primer.
5.I used the same method as i did previously and read the short description and the title to make judgment on whether or not an article was good or not.
6.
Title: The distribution characteristics of nitrogen and phosphorus in the ecological system of Mt. Beigu wetland.
Authors: WU Yanyou, LI Pingping, HAO Jianchao, WU Chundu, FU Weiguo
Copyright:2009
Publisher:Academic Publishers Brill
Link:http://search.ebscohost.com.bob.csueastbay.edu/login.aspx?direct=true&db=aph&AN=36034754&site=ehost-live
7. I read the abstract to determine this article was meaningful.

1 comment:

  1. You did a good job searching. Your evaluation is based on relevance, which you determined by reading the information. That's good, but there are other criteria, such as authority. Remember C.A.R.D.I.O. from earlier this quarter? I had hoped you would use some of that.

    ReplyDelete